Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director of Pipeline and School Partnership Programs develop, coordinate and implement Saturday Science Academy, Medical Careers Summer Program and other pipeline programs for students in PK-12th grade. Recruit, select and evaluate students, teachers, volunteers and parents. Establish an effective pipeline to ensure curriculum articulation within participating school districts, high schools, and CDU educational programs, with a special emphasis on Schools to Careers and Regional Occupational programs.
EDUCATION: • Bachelor’s degree from a regional accredited institution.
EXPERIENCE: • Five years or more of demonstrated experience in program and curriculum planning and development; working with and recruiting Pk-12th grade students, parents, faculty volunteers; career counseling, training, and teaching at a variety of levels. • Grant Writing Experience • Experience working in higher education • Experience working with underrepresented communities
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: • Teaching Credential, Adult Education, Vocational Education and professional certifications. • Current driver’s license, insurance and vehicle for work-related transportation.
SKILLS: • Able to plan, design and implement education programs and curricula. • Knowledge of student recruitment and retention strategies, student outreach services and activities. • Knowledge of relevant local, state, federal policies and requirements. • Pc proficient in MS Windows and relevant educational software.
TITLES OF JOBSSUPERVISED: • Staff, Students and Volunteers
Other Duties and Responsibilities: • Respect confidentiality requirements under all circumstances. • Meet relevant time and attendance requirements. • Maintain student attendance and retention in all programs at 85%. • Ensure 100% of eligible 12th grade students apply to CDU • Work well with coworkers to share information and training and support team goals and objectives. Appreciate diversity. • Comply with CDU policies and behavioral guidelines. Resolve conflict professionally. • Communicate clearly with excellent written and verbal skills. • Actively seek guidance and information in order to make appropriate decisions and complete work correctly. • Strive to produce error-free work; take responsibility for errors and their correction. • Respond positively to requests for change; be flexible in work approach and willing to learn new information. • Have constructive and positive dialogues about CDU with staff and partners. • Maintain an organized workspace and contribute to efficiency. • Perform other related duties as assigned.
Master’s degree and/or teaching credential is preferred.
• Coordinate the design and implementation of Saturday Science Academy, which is designed to prepare students desiring careers in medicine, science and technology. • Design, develop and implement a Summer Science Camp, Summer Math Camp and Summer Medical Careers Program. • Work cohesively with various school districts (i.e., Compton, Inglewood, Lynwood, Los Angeles, and Paramount Unified School Districts) and organizations we have MOUs with • Obtain and manage external financial support. • Recruit and select staff, faculty, instructors, class assistants and guest lectures. • Provide effective customer service to constituencies under all types of situations. Manage difficult people and conflict well and without escalation. • Create administrative structure to integrate Saturday Science with other pipeline programs. • Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of program activities. This includes use of instructional methodology provided by faculty, quality of assignments completed by staff; performance, attendance, etc. of volunteers; and student participation, compliance, and interest. Prepare applicable assessment reports and use data to continuously improve program and process elements. • Advise and counsel students and parents on placement, career planning, educational and personal concerns. • Cultivate and maintain effective networking relationships with colleges, universities, community leaders, organizations and families in order to disseminate information. • Recruit, interview, select and determine the proper placement for all volunteers. • Liaise between King/Drew Medical Magnet High School and the University. • Monitor budget expenditures and reports on variances. • Develop community engagement events • Support Pipeline Program activities to recruit students • Develop and update marketing material • Initiate or recommend policies and procedures that will create the organization needed to accomplish CDU’s objectives. • Develop, mentor and cross-train program staff to provide for appropriate back up and continuation during absences or position vacancies. • Complete supervisory duties in a timely and thoughtful manner, including time and attendance, performance appraisals and other elements. • Successfully complete all grant reports and requirements in a timely manner • Complete, maintain, examine and submit accurate reports as requested and/or required. • Develop and implement training programs for teachers and parents. • Participate in professional meetings and conferences and/or contribute to journals or publications to maintain professional contacts and visibility for the University. • Plan, conduct and direct major projects.
• The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Occasional stooping. Frequent standing. Constant walking, sitting, climbing, reaching high/low levels, finger movement, feeling, speaking clearly, hearing conversationally, and seeing far and near. Extensive daily periods working a computer at a workstation. Able to lift 25 pounds unassisted.
• The ability to perform highly detailed work with sustained attention and care while providing/obtaining information on numerous inquiries is paramount to success in this position.
• The ability to perform detailed work with sustained attention and care while providing/obtaining information on numerous inquiries is paramount to success in this position. Frequent work on a variety of unrelated tasks.
• Constant calculating, interrupted work on a variety of interrelated tasks, and use of sustained concentration, reasoning, judgment, resourcefulness, analytical ability, and ingenuity. Superior observation skills and ability to manage the safety of a number of children.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. No unusual working conditions.
Ability to work effectively within a diverse community.
Additional Salary Information: Commensurate with experience.
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU) is a premier mission-driven university dedicated to transforming the lives of underserved communities through health professions education, biomedical research and compassionate patient care. Since incorporating in 1966 out of the ashes of the Watts rebellion, we’ve been serving South Los Angeles and beyond by working to eliminate health dis...parities and providing unique, quality education and training opportunities. CDU has produced thousands of diverse health care leaders ready to provide care in today’s workforce with excellence and compassion.
Excellent health and wellness for all persons, peoples and communities, in a world without health disparities.
The University develops a diverse group of health professional leaders who seek social justice, promote wellness, provide care with excellence and compassion, and are uniquely qualified to transform the health of underserved populations through outstanding education, research, and clinical services in the context of community engagement.
Excellence Accountability Compassion Diversity Integrity
Legacy Service Community Innovation Leadership